Our clients in commercial and matrimonial disputes often need to answer a simple question: how much does a company or person own? Our thorough searches provide the information necessary to decide between pursuing a lawsuit and seeking a settlement. Additionally, we have been called on to find assets in order to establish jurisdiction in a district favorable to our clients. Our investigations also assist our clients after a lawsuit, helping them seize assets to enforce a judgment.
As the former Finance Editor for the Asian Wall Street Journal and an expert lecturer on untangling complex financial holdings and transactions, Philip Segal is particularly well-qualified to uncover assets parties have attempted to conceal. For example, in searching for assets, we routinely focus on real and personal property owned not only personally, but through side companies as well. Experience has taught us that even if a person has lived his entire life in one state, he could easily control companies domiciled in a different state, and these could control assets anywhere in the world.
Among the services we provide:
- Determine assets of potential counterparties prior to bringing suit
- Track down assets hidden in anticipation of litigation
- Search for assets to enforce a judgment
- Prove opponent’s financial ties to a jurisdiction
- Expose undisclosed financial ties between people
- Uncover financial ties among corporations or organizations
- Gather admissible evidence for fraud investigations
You can also read our piece in the Bloomberg BNA Family Law Reporter, "Matrimonial Asset Searches: Your Client Knows More than She Thinks."